English is the language of instruction in all programs at SAIT and is the common language for business in Alberta. Applicants must meet the minimum English Language Arts admission requirement for the program they apply to and demonstrate English language proficiency in one of the following ways:
1. Complete three years of full-time instruction in the English language, with a minimum of 12 hours instruction per week.
- You must provide high school or post-secondary transcripts to demonstrate this requirement.
- If you were educated outside of Canada, you will require a document assessment.
2. Achieve the applicable score on an English assessment test - see chart below
3. Successfully complete the English Language Foundations (ELF) program at SAIT
- COMN 155 and SPCH 155 meet proficiency for programs requiring English Language Arts 30-1 or 30-2.
- COMN 154 and SPCH 154 meet proficiency for programs requiring English Language Arts 20-1 or 20-2.
The tests below are considered valid by SAIT for a one-year period from the date the test was issued.
|Assessment Test||Test Score||Program Requirement|
|International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- must be the academic assessment
|6.0 in each skill/category||English Language Arts 30-1 or 30-2|
|5.5 in each skill/category||English Language Arts 20-1 or 20-2|
|Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL)||60 overall band||English Language Arts 30-1 or 30-2|
|50 overall band||English Language Arts 20-1 or 20-2|
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
Destination Institution code for SAIT: 0849
A minimum score of 20 in each category
English Language Arts 30-1 or 30-2
A minimum score of 18 in each category
English Language Arts 20-1 or 20-2
|Canadian Language Benchmark Assessment (CLBA)||Score of 8 in each section||English Language Arts 30-1 or 30-2|
|Score of 7 in each section||English Language Arts 20-1 or 20-2|
|Pearson Test of English (PTE)||Score of 53||English Language Arts 30-1 or 30-2|
|Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB)||Score of 76||English Language Arts 30-1 or 30-2|
Respiratory Therapy program
All applicants who have English as an additional language must achieve level 9 in all categories of the Enhanced Language Training Placement Assessment (ELTPA) to qualify for admission to the Respiratory Therapy program.